I went down to Grandpa’s Bees, in Alamosa, and purchased a “scrawny” Nuc for $50. I clearly saw the queen before purchasing (but I did not see her as I put the frames in the hive at home). This Nuc was “scrawny” because it didn’t have many bees. They had been being fed sugar water, and they had filled so many cells with it that the queen did not have an abundance of cells in which to lay eggs. This was a 5-frame deep Nuc.
At home, I put four of the frames into an 8-frame deep box, discarding just one frame of honey after being sure that there were no bees on it. I also placed in that box 4 frames of drawn comb so that the queen would have a lot of space for brood. I set that box on the screened bottom board and added a single sheet of newspaper on top.
Of the three boxes holding the cut-out hive, I discarded the bottom one which just had a few bees on some of the old, cut-out comb I had rubber-banded into foundationless frames. So, above the deep, with the new “scrawny” Nuc, above the sheet of newspaper, was the second box of old, rubber-banded comb and then a top box of frames of honey. So, two mediums and one deep.
On top of all that, I replaced the top feeder that had the left-overs of the honey I had crushed and strained.
My plan is to leave them completely alone for two weeks and then do a hive check.