October 11th: Varroa Mite Control Experiment

On September 26th I first noticed dead Varroa Mites on the hard, white bottom board insert.  Today I was researching VM control, primarily on honeybeesuite.com.  I found the posts inserted below.  As a result:

  1. I’m going to leave the bottom board out permanently.
  2. I put a bunch of wood chips under the raised hive.
  3. I put red cedar chips, from the pet department at Wal*Mart, on top of those wood chips.

In a week, I’m going to put the bottom board insert in, overnight, again, to see if I still have any Varroa Mites.

Screen shot 2015-10-11 at 7.37.33 PM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s